Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Medical Screening

Okay, okay.. I have been a very bad blogger!!  I swear I have good intentions, just always seems to be something more urgent needing my attention.

As far as this journey:  We are hoping to transfer one embryo by the end of this year.. SOON!  Allen and I traveled to CT on Nov. 6th and 7th (and 8th) to get our blood work done and my medical screening done.  Our appointment was at 8 am, we both got our bloodwork done, then we met our IP's!!  After chatting for a bit the nurse took me to do the saline sonohystergram, where they fill my uterus up with saline solution and do an ultrasound to check it all out.  I have been deemed to have "a lovely cavity" so there, ha!
After that I got to meet Dr. Lavy, and we talked about what to expect.  Also I had a medication review class with the nurse to go over the many fertility meds I will be taking.  Good news: No big needles!  Their protocol does not include the dreaded PIO (progesterone in oil) shot.  I still have to do injections but they are with the tiny needles like used for insulin.. no biggie.  No muscle injections! Yippee!

After our appointment was over around noon our IP's treated us to a wonderful lunch at a nice Italian restaurant.. along with my IF's cousin, can't forget him!  He was their navigational expert, lol.  His home in Scranton is their USA home base so he is important to our journey as well!
They are very sweet people. Filled with optimism and positivity, and I have no doubt they will be loving, inspirational parents. :)  Can't wait to make it happen..

So everything was going great.. and then the snowstorm hit.  The shuttle picked us up at 3 to head back to LaGuardia airport in NYC, about 1/2 way there and we were practically in a whiteout!  Our driver got us safely to our destination a couple hours before our plane was set to leave but we were starting to get nervous as flight after flight was being canceled.  Then ours was delayed...only 45 minutes.  Then they announced our plane had been diverted to Boston..  but then it came back yay!  And right about then at 830pm they announced that every departing flight had been canceled... Crap!

We got rebooked for a 7:15 am flight.  We debated on trying to find somewhere to stay, but with our flight leaving so early we decided we were camping at the airport!  Just as we were set to find a corner to set up in, a man asked if we were staying at the airport.  When we said yes, he informed us he was gathering people to take to another terminal where they were setting up cots with blankets and pillows.  Well that sounded better than the floor! 
So we went to stand in the line of people he was "gathering".  Well we waited, and waited and noone was announcing anything or giving us any updates.. when suddenly the same man slid quietly up to us and whispered "they told me to get a busload then they changed their mind, go outside and get on bus A or B and go to terminal B, do NOT tell them I sent you, just say you need a place to sleep. Do you understand?".  Umm yeah, sure, okay. 
So we did what he said and went to terminal B only to find nothing so we asked some lady who worked there and she ended up sending us "back an empty hallway to an escalator with a US airlines sign near it and go to the third floor".
We went up the escalator and towards the parking garage - then.. whew COTS, yay!  Hundreds of them lined up on the walls!   So we were one of the lucky ones who got a bed that night :)

The next morning we went back to our terminal and got thru security again...  flights were again being canceled left and right but ours remained on time luckily!  Then as we were boarding Allen's boarding pass was denied so he had to step aside while I waited in the tunnel to the plane.  After about 10 minutes they finally let him board!
The flight to Pittsburgh and drive home were uneventful and we sure were glad to be home!  


1 comment:

  1. Hi Carrie! I am glad you commented on my blog! I am already on Mothers Beyond Belief! :) My name is Carla Cole Latimer. I occasionally will click over there to read stuff....I rarely comment though. It does look like we have some things in common! I have my surrogacy blog and my family blog is over at ltmrfmly.blogspot.com
    I look forward to reading more about your surrogacy journey!

    ReplyDelete